Scripture Reflection: Pray for society
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37-40)
• For those doctors, nurses, carers and other health professionals as they come under pressure and strain – that they would be kept free from illness
• For scientists to be successful in finding a vaccine and other effective ways to protect people from the virus
• That people would be mindful of the effects of their actions on others: following medical advice carefully and being responsible when buying supplies
• That time in isolation from others would provide an opportunity for people to reflect on their lives and the decisions they have made.
• For all those whose work or study is hit by the crisis – that we would be fair to all who are affected and look after those whose livelihoods are threatened
• For students now being educated at home – that this period would helpfully supplement their school education and that a fair solution to exams and qualifications would be found and followed.
• For all those facing abuse or violence at home – that they would be kept safe and find the help they need